Changing of season is the most dreadful time of the year. The virus activity is at its peak and its ill effects can be seen in young children with low or developing immunity such as new born and infants.
Causes: There are hundreds of viruses in the environment that cause cold and flu. Babies have a low immunity hence they are mores susceptible to frequent bouts of common cold. After few episodes of sickness, babies gradually develop immunity that remains lifelong. They develop a stronger fighting mechanism against all kinds of infections and illnesses.
Some Common Symptoms:
- Runny nose
- Stuffy nose
- Watery eyes
- Rubbing eyes or nose
- Constant crying
- High irritability
- Disturbed sleep
If the child has raised body temperature, body rashes, vomiting, diarrhea, excess drowsiness, chills, etc. please contact your medical practioner and avoid trying any remedies at home.
Most cases of common cold last for 4-6 days after which the symptoms gradually disappear.
If the cold or flu is not accompanied by fever or other symptoms, parents can follow these tips to reduce the discomfort of the ailing child and provide some relief to the baby.
Breastfeeding – Breastmilk has antibiotics that increase the immunity of the baby. Staying hydrated helps the child to fight against the illness better. Also the baby needs nutrition to heal internally.
If a child is not breastfed, formula milk needs to be given in spite of the child’s reduced interest. Otherwise it can lead to a high risk of dehydration.
In kids older than 6 months, water should be given in sips at regular intervals.
- Address the nasal congestion– Humidifiers/ Vaporizers add moisture in the air and relieves the dryness of nose and throat. A steam bath can also help to break the mucus build up in the nasal tract. Saline drops can be given under doctor’s prescription which will loosen the thick mucus.
- Nasal aspirator– Since a new-born or infant cannot blow out nose on its own, an infant nasal bulb or nasal aspirator is very useful to pull out the thick mucus by using suction pressure. Considering it as one of the most handy tool for all new moms, we have included it in the baby first box.
- Baby rub– Gently apply some baby balm on the sole of feet and put socks. This works wonders and quickly relives the symptoms. You will also get baby rub as part of our box.
- Elevate the head– Gently lift the child’s head by keeping a thin towel or pillow so that the nasal passages remain clear and baby can breathe better.
- Rest– A baby needs adequate rest and sleep to fight off the illness. Avoid any loud sounds or bright lights when the child is sleeping. Keep the room well ventilated and at comfortable temperature. Switch off Air Conditioner if required.
- Maintain hygiene– Parents must wash hands with soap before handling the baby. Use sanitizer and disinfectants to wash baby clothes, toys, feeding bottles, pacifiers, etc.
Some of the home remedies work wonders. Let’s have a look on them.
- Warm mustard oil cooked with ajwain can be rubbed gently on chest and back. But parents should be careful that it should not be too hot or else child may get burns or blisters.
- Keeping garlic/ajwain potli near infant helps in relieving the symptoms to an extent.
We “The Baby First Box” help to-be/new parents by delivering essential baby products required in the first few months. These products are specially curated and specifically handpicked by our in-house experts to provide a pleasant experience in their parenting journey. New moms/parents can specifically customize the boxes as per their needs and seasonal requirements.