Throughout the pregnancy phase of Nine months (3 trimesters), each expecting parent researched and was ready with everything – best hospital/pediatrician, new clothes, best child care products, baby room etc, but were they ready for physical and emotional changes for themselves? Be it a new daddy, mommy or even the baby.
After the completion of the pregnancy period of nine months the baby is born. And there starts the next trimester called the fourth trimester!!
But what is it?
Well it is the immediate next 3 months after the baby is born. Not everyone has heard of it, but every mother and their new born baby will go through it. It is a great change for mother and baby both emotionally and physically. The main aim for every parent in this phase is to provide baby the same environment which they got when they were in the womb. While this early postpartum period is a time of great joy for many, it’s also a very vulnerable time for some. Since this is the phase where women and their families experience substantial physiological, social, and emotional changes, there are certain methods which can be helpful for babies and mothers.
Tips for Soothing Babies
- Swaddling: Babies are accustomed to live in a cozy, warm and enclosed womb. The same has to be recreated through swaddling the baby. This also prevents the ‘MORO’ reflex or startling effect.
- Skin to Skin: The very moment, the baby is out of the womb, the nurse will put the baby to mother’s chest for first skin to skin. It is a physical change for a baby and an emotional one for mother. Being on mom’s chest helps your baby settle in better to that rhythm. Babies can benefit from skin-to-skin for months. Some experts recommend it for at least three months for full-term babies and six months for premature babies. So, snuggle up with your baby and enjoy the experience of being a parent.
- Feeding: The next milestone to be achieved is feeding. Both mother and child are new to this phenomenon and do not know what exactly need to be done. Give baby nourishment whenever they need.
- Bathing: Babies love to be in a tub of warm water. This makes them feel as if they are still in mother’s womb. In summers, bathing babies is easy but in winter season, babies can be bathed by keeping a warm water tub inside a properly heated room.
- Well-being: It is difficult to regularize the sleep pattern of a new born baby. Rather, mom has to adjust her sleep schedule according to the baby. Another common phenomenon which babies generally have is colic. Also, hearing a crying baby could leave a mother clueless especially when you don’t know the reason. Be prepared to cuddle, sooth, medicate the baby in such situation.
Tips for New Moms:
- Feeding: This is the most difficult thing for any mother and baby. Very often, mothers lose their patience as they do not know the science behind breastfeeding. A very simple rule of breastfeeding, mommy produces milk when baby demands but if you still find any issue, consult a lactation expert for better understanding of things like latching techniques, engorgement, nipple soreness etc. Be patient, as baby and you need time to get used to it.
- Sleep: Until now, the mothers were sleeping almost peacefully but now with new chores on the list like from establishing a feeding pattern for baby, changing diapers after every 2 hours, getting the baby burped, to changing her own sanitary pads, a mother has to be almost awake endlessly for day and night. Mother should try to lie down or take short naps whenever they find the baby doing the same.
- Support: Last but not the least, a mother is already multitasking amongst which she tends to forget about her health and well-being. But it’s as important as taking care of the child. So, she should take care of her health and call for support if the need be, either from your husband, mother-in-law or even friends.
So, either you’re pregnant or have just delivered a baby, all you need is, just be patient and determined and you’ll achieve this milestone of fourth trimester!!
We understand the concerns and challenges faced by new mothers and hence we came up with the concept of “The Baby First Box”. We help to-be/new parents by delivering essential baby products required in the first few months. These products are specially curated and specifically handpicked by our in-house experts to provide a pleasant experience in their parenting journey. New moms/parents can specifically customize the boxes as per their needs and seasonal requirements.